For friendly support & infromation  01325 776 554
Nationwide Advocacy Service


Do you cover all areas of the country?

We are a nationwide provider and can respond to requests to give advocacy support in many parts of the country.  

To find out how we can help you please contact us

What days and times do the advocacy services run?

We operate Monday to Friday during normal office hours and have an out of hours messaging service where all messages are picked up and responded to the next working day.

To contact us please click here

How quickly can the advocacy service be initiated?

We usually respond to referrals within five working days but try to reduce response times to a minimum.

How do I request an advocate?

By telephone, email, written request or via our website. Please click here for our contact information.

How do you ensure a quality service?

Advent Advocacy is a quality assured service driven by regular appraisal and satisfaction data; we work closely with service users and care providers listening to what people want and need. We have excellent record keeping systems and conduct satisfaction surveys. Our advocates have high visibility when delivering our service ensuring service users have access to support. We leave information in services where we work such as posters that give clear information about advocates and what they do. We have an excellent system for providing cover during both planned and unplanned absence of an advocate.

What training do advocates undertake?

Advocates undertake modules in the qualification of Independent Advocacy for example, the Independent Mental Health Advocate (IMHA) or Independent Mental Capacity Advocate (IMCA). Advocates also have continuing professional development both internally and externally covering an array of areas including relevant legislation, safeguarding, advocacy techniques and health and safety.

What skills and experience does Advent Advocacy staff have?

Our advocates have both academic and professional prowess. They work with empathy and employ superb communication skills to ensure service users with a variety of needs are able to articulate their wants and wishes. They have extensive experience and in-depth knowledge of working in health-care environments.

What checks do your staff have?

All our staff are reference checked and have enhanced DBS checks which are renewed regularly in line with best practice.

Do service providers receive reports on advocacy undertaken?

We provide detailed reports outlining the frequency of advocacy engagements and how good outcomes have been obtained for service users. Reports are distributed monthly, quarterly and annually.

Who qualifies for an IMHA?

Those who can have access to the IMHA service are called ‘qualifying patients’ and include:

  • Those detained or liable to be detained under the Mental Health Act 1983, even if they are on Leave of Absence
  • Those subject to guardianship
  • Community patients subject to community treatment orders
  • Conditionally discharged patients
  • Patients being considered for section 57 or 58A treatments but are not otherwise subject to the Act (i.e. an ‘informal’ patient)

To find out more about our IMHA service please contact us.

When do you need an IMCA?

Independent Mental Capacity Advocacy was introduced as part of the Mental Capacity Act 2005. This gives people who have impairment, injury or a disability, which results in them being unable to make a specific decision for themselves, the right to receive independent support and representation.

Referrals are made when people have no ‘appropriate’ family and friends who can be consulted and have been assessed as lacking the capacity to make a decision about:

  • Any serious medical treatments
  • A move to a hospital that would be for more than 28 days
  • A move to a care home that would be for more than 8 weeks
  • Safety or care which is likely to result in deprivation of liberty

In addition, referrals may be made when people lack capacity to make a decision about either:

  • A Care review (where this is no ‘appropriate’ family and friends)
  • Safeguarding

If you would like more information about our IMCA service please contact us

When do you need a Care Act Advocate?

You may be able to work with an advocate if you are:

  • An adult who needs care and support
  • A carer of an adult
  • A carer of a young person who is about to start using adult services
  • A young person who is about to start using adult services.


You find it very hard to:

  • Understand what is happening and the choices that you have
  • Decide what care and support you need
  • Tell people what you want


  • You do not have any friends or family available (or who feel able) to support you

Advocacy is available if you live at home, in a care home or hospital, or if you are in prison.

If you would like more information on our care act advocacy service please contact us

Do advocates have access to service user information and hospital records?

With permission from service users, advocates can access service user information. When acting in a statutory advocacy role legislation allows advocates to access records. Some limits are imposed on access by legislation, for example the Data Protection Act.

What documentation do advocates hold on service users?

We maintain records that outline how we have supported service users to find a voice and obtain the best outcomes from the services they receive; this can be viewed by the service user on request.

How many service users did you support last year?

We provided a service to in excess of 1000 service users